Sleep is a fundamental part of our 24-hour day as it is during this time when our body starts to recover and repair itself from the rigors of the day’s work. Although experts recommend that we sleep at least 8 hours, many of us don’t really get to rest that long. Work, stress, or even the wrong type of sleep garments can adversely affect our sleep.
What is a Sleep Shirt?
A sleep shirt, commonly called night shirt, is a garment that we wear to bed. This type of clothing tends to be longer than regular shirts and can go beyond the thighs or just below the knees, thus leaving parts of your legs uncovered. It is usually a loose fit when worn to avoid restricting your movements while you sleep. Both men and women have used this sleepwear through the centuries, and it appears that it has transformed into what we know today as sleep shirts.
Which Fabrics to Choose?
Several factors come into play in order for you to get a good night’s sleep. For starters, you will need a regular sleeping schedule, have a relaxing atmosphere in your bedroom, and of course, wear comfortable clothing. The clothes you wear can help regulate your body’s temperature when you sleep which can make you sleep better at night as well. Fortunately, there are several fabrics for you to choose from such as:
- Silk. This fabric is possibly one of the best thermoregulators out there, as it keeps you cool when it is hot and warms you up when it is cold. However, real silk may be expensive as it requires dry cleaning. The fabric is also slippery which means that it can also move around when you sleep, leaving parts of your skin exposed.
- Cotton. Cotton sleep shirts are lightweight, breathable, and soft to the touch. This means that it will not irritate your skin when worn. However, cotton does not have any insulating properties, so you may feel cold if the temperature drops at night. It may also not help with wicking moisture.
- Flannel. Soft flannel fabric is the perfect choice for colder months because it can keep you warm and toasty in bed without worrying about overheating. The material itself is comfortable to wear which makes it the best choice when the cold season comes.
Styles to Consider
The National Sleep Foundation recommends that adults should get around 7 to 8 hours of sleep per night. If you are having a hard time achieving this number of hours, it might be time to change some habits in your personal life. Avoid drinking coffee after midafternoon and turn off your gadgets an hour before bed. Choose a good sleep shirt so that you may feel more comfortable in bed and easily slip into a deep sleep when wearing it.
The good news is that there is a wide selection of sleep shirts and nightgowns that you can order today both in online or in a store. It’s true that there are many factors that you need to take into account when shopping for sleep tops, such as brand, size, quality, and even total shipping cost.
What styles should you consider when shopping for a nightshirt? Here are a few options to consider.
- Lingerie. Silk, satin, or lace lingerie can provide you with that luxurious feel to your skin while leaving you confident and happy with the way the fabric clings to your body in bed. Depending on the material that you use, it can help regulate your body temperature as you sleep.
- Sleep dress. As the name suggests, this sleep shirt goes below the knees and can come in a variety of styles and designs too. Some may come with a tight fit, to accentuate your curves, while others are loose and flowing.
- Chemise lingerie. Chemise is another fabric that goes well in lingerie style as it provides its wearer with a cool and comfortable clothing at night.
- Long sleeved nightgown. For women who want to be clothed from head to toe at night, especially during the winter, long-sleeved nightgowns are worth taking into consideration. They come in a variety of textiles such as cotton or flannel. Consider this type of fabric if you live in a colder climate.
- Pajamas. Flannel PJs are comfortable to wear at night especially when the cold season is here. You can go for both tops and pants or mix and match it with the rest of your nightwear.
It’s not that easy finding the perfect outfit to wear during bedtime as there are dozens of options from which to choose. Aside from the fabric and the style of sleepwear, you will also have to consider the size of the products. Make sure you have ample room to move around in your sleep.
Shopping for a nightgown or sleep shirt in brick-and-mortar shops is all well and good since you can try them out yourself, but what if you are placing your order online? Fortunately, online shops are making it easier for their customers to narrow down their choices based on the style, design, and size.
Choose your favorite color, brand name, and check out their list of available deals. As for their designer size chart, here are the options that are usually available:
- XS (0-2)
- S (4-6)
- M (8-10)
- L (12-14)
- XL (16)
- XXL (18)
- 3X (24W-26W)
Understanding Size Charts
It can be tricky to find the right size for your nightwear as the sizing may vary from one brand to the next. But there is a standard that can help you get the closest possible size based on your body type. Here is a general idea for measurements when buying clothing merchandise.
- Dress size. XS is 2-4, SML, 4-6, M, 8-10, L 12-14, XL 16, 1X 16-18, 2XL 20-22, and 3XL 24-26.
- Bust in inches. XS is 33, SML is 35, M is 38, L is 41, XLG is 44, 1X is 45, 2X is 49, and 3X is 53.
- Waist in inches. XS is 24, SML is 26, M is 29, L is 32, XL is 35, 1XL is 37, 2X is 41 and 3X is 45.
- Hips in inches. XS is 35, SML is 37, M is 40, L is 43, XL is 47, 1XL is 48, 2XL is 52, and 3XL is 56.
- Regular inseam in inches. XS to 3XL is 31.
- Petite inseam in inches. XS to 3XL is 29.
- Tall inseam in inches. XS to 3XL is 33.
Measurement can vary from women to men to children and babies, so you might want to do some measuring first before buying online to avoid having to return the parcel when it doesn’t fit. Measurements can also vary from brand to brand.
Guide to Buying Pajamas
Sleep shirts or pajamas aren’t simply clothing to wear when you go to bed, but they can also be fashion pieces. You’ve probably come across different sleepwear, even custom sleep shirts, that not only provide comfort, are also quite stylish. Here is a guide to buying luxury best sleepwear.
- Cosabella. From lace to mesh, to patterned PJs, most of the products here are quite playful. The price can go beyond $100, but it is a worthwhile investment especially when you feel the quality of the fabric.
- Marigot. Marigot has a collection of trendy nightwear and you may be surprised to find some priced for less than $100. Check out their nightshirts, boxers, and even full pant sets which are not only crisp and stylish but worth every dollar that you spend.
- Recliner. If you’re looking for smooth lines, bulk-free collars, appropriate openings, and vents, the Recliner brand may be for you. What you’ll love about their selections is that they are not restrictive when worn which means you can move this way without any hindrance. Here you can find a bamboo jersey robe or ultra-soft nightdress for less than $100.
Who would have thought that what you wear to bed can also play a part on the quality of your sleep? If you want to get a good night’s rest, you might want to reconsider what you are wearing.